Thursday, January 21, 2010

New Information

As requested, this post will relay all that I know as of this point (3:30 1/21/10). I have more questions than answers right now (as you will after reading), but I am told and agree that it might be better than not knowing what has been going on.


For the past two weeks, Kate has been very sleepy, staying awake for no more than 20 minutes at a time. This fatigue has been accompanied with chills, head pain, trouble swallowing, and instability when standing. On Friday (15th) we drove to Durham (Duke Medical) for her to have an MRI (her first since radiation). On Monday (18th) Kate passed out and on her Mother’s recommendation, I took her to the hospital here in Greenville. She was tested for all sorts of things and eventually treated for dehydration and thyroid insufficiency (which I understand to be a lack of hormone problem). The tests revealed that many of her hormone levels as well as potassium levels were low. She was given plenty of rest, liquids, and a few hormone and potassium drugs before being released (to see how she was in a few days). This morning (1/21/10) after little change if any in Kate’s symptoms, I woke up to her passing out again. She had talked with her Mom and had scheduled an appointment with her primary care doctor just moments earlier. When she awoke (from passing out) 20 seconds later, I took her back to the hospital. After seeing Kate, her primary doctor suggested she be admitted back into the hospital as an inpatient, so that she could be checked out more thoroughly for the fatigue and fainting. Since being admitted, blood has been drawn and other samples taken to help determine how her body is doing. Her doctors here have also gotten the results from the MRI at Duke and are trying to find out all that they can tell us.

As of 4:50 1/21/10, the doctors cannot be certain what they are seeing in the MRI. Cancer growth causes light to show up on MRIs, but so, too, does left over radiation, as well as some types of radiation induced inflammation. There is a lot of light showing on Kate’s recent MRI and the Duke radiologist’s report on the MRI says that they believe they see cancer growth. This would be horrible news if it turns out to be true (as it would mean the very high levels of radiation she received had not stopped the tumor). Because of this, Kate’s doctors here in Greenville are trying to get in touch with her doctors at Duke as well as her doctors at MGH in Boston to compare notes, as well as comparing MRI images, old and new, to see what is going on and what they can do to help her.

So, what do I know? I know that Kate’s recent symptoms (severe fatigue, pain, trouble swallowing, and instability) are being caused by radiation, inflammation, or tumor growth. Radiation is unlikely, as we would have expected to see these symptoms earlier and for them to be getting better (they are getting worse). Inflammation is unlikely because she has been off and on anti-inflammatory drugs ever since radiation (for one reason or another). So most likely it is her tumor that has suddenly caused all of these symptoms to arise. If this is true, we can expect very bad things, as there was already very little room for it to grow without threatening life functions.

She says she is feeling about normal, which recently has been code for feeling cold, pain, and very tired. I will be with her here in the hospital overnight and will (as time allows) update this blog with what I know. Limited as that might be.

(6:20 no change)

(10:40) late update

Comparing a CT scan done today with the MRI done on Friday of last week, the doctors here in Greenville as well as the doctors at Duke and in Boston all agree 100%, that the tumor is the cause of Kate’s symptoms and it is growing aggressively. They have told us that the experimental treatment we had been told about in Boston (mentioned in a previous post), would be our option of last resort, but that there is little hope that those trials would provide any help at this stage (due to size and location). The folks here in Greenville still want to try a few things (tomorrow) in an effort to help her with the pain and with her energy levels but know that anything else is beyond their ability.

28 comments:

  1. Katie I just wanted to drop a note to let you know that there is much love in the Somerville home for you. I wish I could come and give you a great big hug. All my energy and love is with you.
    David the same goes for you, it's just that Kate needs it more right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Kati and David. Please know that I love you both SO much. I know we don't talk much, but I think about you two constantly and always keep up with the blog. I'm praying for you guys and sending tons of love and positive energy. Xxx Sara Thompson

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you both very much, and I really wish I could be there in person to tell you. Jack and Jos will have plenty of hugs to give you from us. I will be hoping, wishing, praying and sending all my energy to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katie and David, just a note to let you know I am wishing you all the best and sending hugs and kisses. A thank you to Josie for letting me know what is going on. Even though it has been many years and I have lost track of you both you will always be in my thoughts and prayers. Love you.
    Jeff Mayo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Kati and David,
    Please know that Marcel and I continue to pray for you, Kati's body as well as your minds and spirits. What Marcel and I went through (and are still going through) with the loss of our son last summer is teaching us (under hard circumstances) that God does love us, Christ has saved us and we can live in his grace, both now and after our time on earth expires. God does have good plans for our lives, even if we don't understand the reasoning, and I hope these good truths resonate with your minds and hearts. We love you and think of you often, admire your strength and positive outlooks, and can only begin to imagine what you are going through now in this especially difficult and uncertain time. We pray for you and for the family and friends.
    Love, Jenn and Marcel

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey guys,
    out thougths are with you. Hang in there!
    Eddie&Rita

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our thoughts and hopes are with you both!

    -your ex-roommates Phoebe, David, and the fuzzy orange cat

    ReplyDelete
  8. Katherine,
    I want so badly to say something witty that would make you laugh. I keep imagining you on your wedding day, tons of energy in over 100 degrees, I was pooped out. Whenever I think of that day and I think you were joy embodied. All those joy rays you shared with us that day I will forceray your way right now all the way from Mass. I hope you are having good dreams while you sleep. Big hug.

    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kati & David,
    We talked with Emily Friday morning and are deeply concerned for you guys. We love you so much and wish we could be there. We, our kids and a bunch of our friends here are praying for you both. Courtney called this morning from Stuttgart and is really with you in her thoughts, tears and prayers.
    Aunt Jan and Uncle Jim

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kati and David,

    I just got wind about Kati's latest admission and had not realized that so much had gone on in the past week (I saw her earlier this week). Both of you and your respective families are in my (and Randy's) prayers. I understand that its a very tough situation and kati is going through a lot but I have rarely seen anyone take so much adversity with such a positive attitude (she never complains and always has a smile on her face). Please hang in there. I would like to come visit you guys either in the hospital or at home if Kati's condition permits and you guys are up for it. Keep us posted. AA

    ReplyDelete
  11. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.
    Linda Terracciano
    (Mookie's mom)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Got pointed here from the Dominic Deagan site and was kind of surprised to learn that you're nearly neighbors (I live in Greenville myself)--my condolences to Kati, and I definitely hope Pitt Memorial's giving her a lot better care than my mother had when she was in there a little over a year ago. :-/ (The 15th of January was the 1 year anniversary of her passing. :-/ )

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kati, David & All,

    Jesse and I are consistently thinking about and sending our best hopes to you. We'll continue thinking about and praying for you. There is soooo much love here for you.

    All our best,
    Emma

    ReplyDelete
  14. My friend brought me to your page and I am touched by your situation.

    You will be in my prayers every night.

    ~Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  15. As a friend of Michael Teracciano, all of you have earned my support. I will be praying for your access to the strength of the world, and the strength deep inside. No one deserves to face this kind of disaster, after all.

    Good luck.

    ~Russ

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear Kati and David,

    I learned about your situation from one of Mookie's news posts underneath his webcomic, and have been reading this blog since. I just want to let you know that even though I don't know you, I love you, and I'm praying for you. I wish you both a lot of love, and a lot of strength, for days to come.

    - Pepijn

    ReplyDelete
  17. Got posted over from the Dominic Deegan site. I just wanted to let you know that the Shoreline Relay for Life teams here in Seattle all have you in their thoughts and prayers. Best wishes for strength, comfort, health, and a cure!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Kati and David,
    Laurie called today as soon as she heard. I want you to know our thoughts, prayers, and hugs are coming to all your family from Morehead City, NC. Stay strong of heart, God bless all of you!
    Bill and Kathie Green

    ReplyDelete
  19. Have been praying for you Katie, ever since Mookie told us. Our hearts are with you, hon, and David, and all the others praying. The Lord's healing and peace be on you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You both are in my thoughts and prayers. My God be with you, hold you in the palm of his hand and give you strength.
    Ashley Ellis

    ReplyDelete
  21. Dear Katherine and David,
    We are thinking about you and love you. Hang in there, be at peace. With love.
    Laura and Joey

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Kati and David,

    We are continuing to pray for you both and are so thankful you have each other--and such loving parents and siblings--to lean on.

    Much love,

    John and Emer and Eamon

    ReplyDelete
  23. Kate,
    Thinking of you every day. Know that love surrounds you. - Mackenzie

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hello Katherine and David,
    Are you still at the hospital? I would like to come and visit if it is ok with you?
    Please let me know: ra1006@ecu.edu
    My thoughts and prayers are with you.
    I love you Katherine!!
    Reem Alkadhi

    ReplyDelete
  25. Our thoughts and prayers are with you all. We think of you all everyday and send our love your way.
    Justin, Stephanie, and Amelia Bennett

    ReplyDelete
  26. Kati and David - I have been thinking a fair amount recently about what I could say that might be helpful and uplifting to you during a time such as this. The more that I have meditated on you both, and Kati's illness, the harder it has been for me to avoid telling you that it is not too late . . .I told you a few months ago that I wasn't sure how your situation would resolve, but that I knew how I HOPED it would resolve; from David's latest posting it does not seem like what I hoped for is what is happening at the moment (and I just want to stop here and thank you, David, for being so faithful about typing such difficult things on this blog, so that all the people who want to know how Kati is doing will stay up-to-date). This does not mean to me that we should stop praying for you both - and we will not. But it makes me think that I want you to know SPECIFICALLY that I am praying you will know (yes, even at 2 am) how much God loves you both. He loved you before Kati's diagnosis, he loved you at the moment of her diagnosis, and he loves you as you are struggling with such terrible news. I don't believe that what is going on right now is because he doesn't care for Kati, because I don't believe that God arranges or condones the sickness and suffering that we all face at some point in this life. Your suffering right now is particularly painful and terrible, both for you and for everyone who is rooting for Kati's health. But it is terrible for him too, Kati, because he loves you. Anyone who would sacrifice their own child for someone else has the kind of love that I don't think any of us would be able to give, if asked. I don't know if you have ever just closed your eyes and talked with God, Kati - out loud, silently, it doesn't matter - and asked him whatever you want and told him whatever you thought. Maybe you don't like him much right now, Kati :) but I am so confident that he MORE than likes you, Kati - he loves you, and I know that he will say something to you if you give him that chance. He will tell you that he wants you to know HIM, and everything that he's done for you since before you were born . . .Giving you your wonderful personality, your obvious intellect, your loving husband, and most importantly giving you a chance to live forever. None of us will be on this earth forever, but all of us have a chance for eternity with him. A chance to choose to trust him, to know that we don't have to worry about what's going to happen to us when our time on earth seems to be coming to an end, a chance to know that Christ was sent to give us that kind of peace not just at the end, but throughout all the moments of our lives. I pray that you both would give God that chance - I think that you will be surprised at what he has to tell you. If you want to talk about this more, please call or write me - your uncle Phil knows how you can reach me. If not, that's OK too - rest and love each other and we won't stop praying for you guys and that the cancer will not spread further. God bless you both right now - Jen Williams

    ReplyDelete
  27. Know that your battle and continuing work to be a good doctor in the face of it is an inspiration to all medical students and residents. Everytime they get discouraged or think the work is harder than they expected, they can think of you and what it means to be so committed. It stands as an example of what each doctor should feel about their opportunity to serve. Peace and love.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Katherine,
    We are thinking about you right now and you will be in our thoughts and prayers. Whenever I think about someone that truly embodies courage, you are the person that comes to my mind, now and always. Stay strong Katherine.
    All our love,
    Josh and Carolina

    ReplyDelete